Huchi, Sanson and Karl started their journey to the capital.

So the Magical Autumn of them begins...

Monday, August 13, 2012

Chapter One: Riding Towards the Dawn (Pt.9)

I am carrying a barrel loaded with fat oil, walking on a road in the forest. The weather is so good that I want to whistle. The wind is blowing, it's comfortable enough for me to forget the pain on my head caused by Sanson. But because of the fishy smell of the fat, all these are destroyed. I am walking silently.

Then Jamini suddenly came up to the road from a tree.

"Good afternoon!"

Jamini had her hands behind her back when she appeared, as if touching her hip.

"Got beaten badly, right?"

Instead of getting hit by Jamini's mother's palm, I rather get hit by an normal man's fist. But Jaimini who got tempered for 17 years looks nothing happened.

"Yes. But why are you carrying the oil barrel? Yesterday didn't you say that all works had been done?"

"Someone made an order again. The candles for the Amurtaat Crusade."

"Is it? How many need to be done?"

"I don't know. After the capital's knights and the expedition commanders set the operational plan, the consumption budget will be set. But I guess, they wouldn't need much."

"Why?"

Jamini began to walk with me.

"Only a few knights came, there won't be any special operation plans. Previously there were a lot of people, so they needed a lot of candles, but this time it's different. The war is actually the duel between Amurtaat and Cathselprime. So the knights don't need to stay up all night to discuss strategies... As the distance is about 10 days, so for a round-trip, around one hundred or so is enough."

"Ah. It should be right."

Jamini nodded her head and said.

"But the Dragon-Raja yesterday, if the battle started, he needs to ride on the dragon right?"

"Ah? Why? Certainly not."

"Huh? Doesn't he command on Cathselprime's back?

"That lad knows nothing about war. What you said is Dragoon. Those knights get permission of a dragon, so they can ride on the dragon's back. Dragon-Raja... is only an intermediary between the dragon and human. They are just a symbol , representing a contract that the dragon obeys the command of human."

I explained solemnly, but Jamini is just curling her lips.

"I don't understand what you're saying."

I frowned a bit.

"Gosh, headache. You girl! I'll say in this way. Where do you live? The forest of our thane, isn't it?"

"Yes."

"But is the keeper of the forest thane himself? The rights of cutting down trees in the forest, picking fruits, collecting mushrooms, hunting, all belong to the thane, isn't it?"

"Oh ... Yes."

"But in fact the keeper of the forest is your dad. You got it? In this forest, cutting down trees, collecting mushrooms, in fact rather than getting permission from the thane, we only need to get the permission from your dad."

Jamini nodded with a proud expression.

"Well, that's right."

"Understand? Dragon-Raja is the master of the dragon, but in fact if you have anything to please the dragon, you don't actually need to ask the Dragon-Raja. You can request to the dragon directly. Cathselprime also. As people said they want to eliminate Amurtaat, Cathselprime listened to these words, so she herself determined to fight the battle."

Jamini tilted his head to for a while. Then she seemed to came up with a strange idea, clapped her hands, said:

"In other words, if I ran to find Cathselprime and said: "Let me ride for a while", as long as she agreed, I can ride her? Don't need to be allowed by the Dragon-Raja?"

"Yes. You are right. So dragons communicate directly with human. The Dragon-Rajas don't need to do anything. But when there is no Dragon-Raja with the dragon, it won't bother to communicate with human, it can simply kill a human when it finds one."

"Like Amurtaat?"

"...Like that damn thing!"

I kicked a small rock on the ground. But after the stone hit a tree, it annoyingly bounced to my feet. This time I kicked it with all of my strength, the small stone disappeared in the woods.

"Don't be angry."

"Damn. I just don't want to hear that name!"

Jamini looked at me with sad eyes, but I turned away. After I turned, Jamini projected her sight to elsewhere also. We silently walked a few steps like this. Jamini suddenly said:

"Really want to try?"

"What?"

"Ask Cathselprime to let me ride for a while?"

My anger instantly disappeared. God, Gran Elver!

"...Cathselprime of course will let you ride."

"Really?"

"Sure. She will then carry you up into the sky, chew thoroughly and then swallow you with a 'gurgle' sound, and then pretend nothing happened and come down. Probably won't even burp a little. Like your size, probably can't fill her stomach..."

"Huchi! Why do you always say such terrible things?"

Jamini heavily stepped on my feet and then ran away. This damn girl. I am carrying a fat barrel on my back, so I can only shout at her. She is far from me, waving her fist.

Damn, damn, damn, this cute little thing!

Huh? Weird, am I nuts?



I began to refine candles.

First of all, put the processed animal fat into water, heat and simmer with small fire. After a while, all the oil floats to the surface of the water, then drag up the oil. This thing is hot, and the smell is very bad, so this time-consuming step is tough to do. After filtering the oil, add coagulants like wax. Then pour the mixture into the molds of wick. If the wick is made by twisted filament, the flame will be very nice. But filaments are very expensive. So we soil reed with oil and then dry it, make it as the wick. When reed wick burns up, it rings noisily, emits sparks, and the brightness is relatively low. But at least the material doesn't require money.

Then place these things into the shade to cool down, then pour them out from the mold, the candles are then complete. Although it looks simple to the extent that people would feel that boring, but you try it yourself. You will find this is actually not an easy thing.

For me, it's also not an easy task. No matter observing the degree of melting of the oil, the amount of the coagulant added,  or pouring the oil carefully so not to break the wick, everything needs a clever craft. If bad luck, broke a wick, then that whole candle material would all need to be dumped. I spent a very long period of time to learn the technique before I could properly pour the grease.

All important production steps were done by me. I am sitting in the open workshop, pouring the pot of oil, and thinking of my father.

If dad can provide for some guidance beside me it would be better, but he didn't even come to the workshop. I do not know where he got a wooden stick from, he is swinging it in the yard. He probably thought the stick was a spear, if he didn't label his name on it, I should be thankful. Look at his age, still swinging a stick sincerely there and shouting: "Ah! Oh! Ah!". Even he is my dad, I can't take this anymore.

"Dad!"

"Finished?"

"Ah, the molds are all filled."

We have a total of 40 molds. So to make one hundred, I have to do a few times. Of course, no one actually said that we need to make one hundred, but I guess the requirement will be around this number. Now I filled all the 40 candle molds, the pot is also just empty. Because all the residues in pot need to be discarded (Can't cook them for the second time), so I estimated before I cook, so the amount of materials used was just right.

My father saw it. Because I deliberately showed him.

"You will become a good husband."

"...Thank you."

I moved the candle molds to the shade, cleaned the pot, and tidied up the materials. During this period, dad was still there "Ha Ah!" "Hey yo!" "Hey Ha! "Ha Hi!" , shouting something irrelevant to practicing spear, swinging his stick.

"I feel painful to see this."

"You should be more humble,  respect me. Don't be jealous."

"Do you want me to practice with you?"

"In the end, it's Patricide. Then go get a stick!"

I went to the workshop to select a stick, while took a glance to the stick my dad's holding. Then I chose a particularly long and heavy one. Dad raised his brow.

"Ha ha ha. The saying goes, A Good Carpenter Doesn't Pick Tool."

I shrugged, put down the stick I just selected, then picked up a even bigger one.

"...You piece of..."

I raised the stick, started to spin and whir it above my head. I often see Sanson and his men play like this.

But I still added my own unique move. Sanson would hold to the spear to the height of his waist and stop eventually. And mine was accidentally let the stick flew out, then ran to pick it up hastily.

Anyway, Dad and I finally held the wooden sticks, we are standing in the yard and looking at each other. In my opinion, and my father even can't make a proper posture with the wooden stick. It's not a sword, why hold it in front of the chest? His feet is casually stationing, the station is very open. If I stab him now, he won't be able to dodge.

"Your feet should stand closer, as the shoulder width."

"You trying to trick me?"

"...This is a very pure recommendation."

Dad obediently combined his feet a little. I made my posture, and then said:

"Spear should be held like this. Do you think you are using an ax? Hands should seperate."

Dad did as I said. In the next 30 minutes, we performed a scene that I simply could not stand.

I didn't know before I am this kind of guy. Every time I stabbed with my stick, and when it nearly met dad I would draw it back. But Dad hit his son like hitting a dog, mercilessly. To dodge his moves is actually not so difficult. Speaking of the level of Dad, even if I stand still, he will stab to somewhere else. Instead, every time I wanted to dodge, I accidentally bumped into his stick.

"Well, can you still fight?"

"Do you think I can't fight anymore?"

"I think you are completely dead. Get up."

I stood up in father's arm. The sun is falling to the west. I leaned on the shoulder of dad, came to the table in front of the hut. Dad got a water bottle. Surrounded by red, not sure if it's because of this, father's face looks particularly warm.

I swallowed and said:

"Dad. You really think you can come back like this?"

"Ah, I am worried too. If the commander is surprised by my martial arts, drag me to the capital to see the King His Majesty, what should I do? I like this village more."

"......"

Dad poked my hair and smiled.

"Don't worry. Things will get better.  We have 8 more days to practice."

"You will depart 8 days later?"

"Ah. I heard this news today from the castle. Starting from tomorrow I will participate in the training in the castle."

"Only train for a week..."

"What's wrong. Anyway, the commanders don't have any expectation on us. They are going to let Cathselprime fight it all."

"If you hide behind Cathselprime, and someone shouted 'Charge!", You should immediately shout: "Uh! I am shot by an arrow", and then fall to the ground."

"So Amurtaat shoots arrow? I better hurry to report this to my commander."

"Who is the Commander?"

"Is a Knight came from the capital to protect the Dragon-Raja. He is called Huritchell. Heard that he is an Earl."

"Earl's ranking is higher than our thane!"

"Knowing that he is not sent to the frontline of Zypern battles, but is sent to this remote territory, it is clear. If this Earl is not useless, then he has no social skill."

"But the army of a Earl is just like this?"

"Are you actually pointing at Cathselprime and say 'just like this'?"

"You are correct then."

I turned my head towards the West. The sunset dyed the sky red. West is where Amurtaat is. I suddenly feel like the red sunset is like fire spitted by Amurtaat, somehow felt a trace of cold from the warm red light. I made a few chills, lying asleep on the table. Practicing with father seems too tiring.

※ ※ ※

The red flame is burning.

Burning houses, burning villages, burning world. All I can see are flames.

Mother is also burning.

Fire shoes, fire dress, fire hair. On her arm, a fire bracelet is ragingly burning.

Mom looks very serene, the whole picture looks very beautiful. The strange thing is, I think mother looks very warm. Looks like if I drop into her arms, the flame will bring me warmth.

I run to my mother.

Mom opens her arms. Come now. Come now.

Mom's arms spread out. Come on. Continue to spread. Come on. Eventually what mom spread out turns into a pair of black wings.

Above the shoulder of mom, there is an abnormal head. The skin is black and shiny, distorts and reflects the fire light around. There is a bending horn on the head, if run towards it like this, I will be pierced. The mouth of the head opened. Inside is a ridiculously large cave. Absolute. Darkness. Eternity. Infinity.

Why am I still running forward?

※ ※ ※

"Fool! Where are you going?"

Because the shout of Dad, I finally found myself running towards the fireplace. I stopped. If I am a little more forward, I am afraid that my scalp will be burnt.

"Had a dream?"

Looking closer, I was wrapped in the blanket lying on the floor of the room, and my father was sitting on the edge of the bed writing something. Dad put something he just wrote on the cabinet, came to me and touched my forehead, and then nodded. My forehead is full of sweat, I am still sitting there blankly until now. Even he turned my eyelids up, I am still sitting there. Finally my father held his fist and is going to punch me.

"Stop! Don't hit me."

"Great. Is it because you didn't eat before you slept? Speaking of people in your age, it should be uncommon for this to happen. There is bread on the table, eat it."

I stood up, but not to eat the bread. I went directly out of the hut.

"I go to enjoy the shade a bit."

"Go."

I was in the blanket, so when I suddenly ran outside, I suddenly felt deadly cold, and even my arms started to get goose bumps. But as it's after sweating, so it was extremely comfortable. Hell cares whether will catch a cold tomorrow. I went the bucket beside the workshop . But before the moment I drill my head into the bucket, I suddenly recoiled.

I can't see nothing in the bucket, only darkness. I can't even see water in it. I don't want put my head into it. I feel that if my head is drilled into it, my whole body will also be sucked in.

I bit my teeth and moved backwards, backed by the wall of the hut and sat down.

"Mammy!"

I wanted to say "Mom". But in my entire life, I've never had the opportunity to call her this, because when she was still here I was too small, I only knew saying "Mammy". I am naturally shouting according to my memory long time ago.

Poof. What is this? A sentimental tone of a kid in adolescent?

However, why are my cheeks wet?

※ ※ ※

No comments:

Post a Comment