Huchi, Sanson and Karl started their journey to the capital.

So the Magical Autumn of them begins...

Friday, August 17, 2012

Chapter One: Riding Towards the Dawn (Pt.12)


The scene of the soldiers arraying on the plain in front of the village is very impressive.

But what kind of fever did I get? These people are just holding swords and spears, neatly lining up there, but when I watch them, my heart beat hastily. Because of the excitement, I would like cry some meaningless noises at them. Their tension also infected us, is this tension getting enlarged within the crowds, triggering the resonance?

In front of the troops, are the knights from the capital, wearing half-length armors on their bodies, swords on their waists, sitting on horseback. Each of them are holding a halberd with a flag, as a sign of various units.

Each of the five knights is responsible for one unit.

Behind the knights are the heavy infantries who came from the capital with the knights, they are wearing chain mails and armed long swords and tower shields. The second are the light infantries, that is the guards of our town. They are wearing hardcovers, holding long swords, but they are armed more freely. Our guards' equipment is not uniform anyway. The third is the spear unit, they are wearing light leathers, holding spears. The fourth are the archers, equipped with light leathers and short bow. The fifth are the support teams, medical teams and engineering team or backup teams.

While standing next to them is the most important unit. The member is one person and two animals (?) That is the Dragon-Raja, Sir Hustheil His Excellency, the horse he is riding, as well as the White Dragon Cathselprime, which is more spectacular than entire army combined.

Speaking of it, the rest of the troops are not for dealing with Amurtaat, but are for dealing with the flocked monsters in the Gray Mountains. And because they are only reserve forces, so the organization is also very simple. Amurtaat will be handled by Cathselprime, and the monster troops of Amurtaat - troops? This argument is a bit ridiculous. In fact, they are more like Amurtaat's food, but because of the terror caused by Amurtaat's strong magic, they can't leave the Gray Mountains, and attack humans who get close to them - will be handled by our human troops. Of course, I do not know any strategies or that sort of thing, but as long as with a common sense, everyone probably can guess. When Amurtaat and Cathselprime fight, what can the remaining weak force help?

Standing at the front most is the Ninth Amurtaat Crusade combatant commander, which is Earl Huritchell, he is wearing a chain mail, riding a armored horse. Next to him is our thane Heltant His Honor, wearing an armor with the Heltant family emblem on it, riding a chariot. The so-called chariot... No matter how I watch, that's just a carriage for transporting hay, it has reinforcement everywhere, there are even several spears put on the edge of the carriage. The only reason it's called a chariot is because our thane is sitting on it, if it's placed elsewhere, everyone would think that's a weird vehicle for transporting hay.

Jamini pulled my shoulder.

"I found him, there!"

Speaking of finding someone, Jamini does much better than I do. Until Jaimini pointed out, I saw where my dad is. Dad belongs to the spear unit. Because of the helmet and the shoulder of the person in front, so I can't see my father's face.

What expression is he having? Last night my father was still with a calm face, chatted with me as usual with those words between curse and joke. I told Dad, if you have any heritage, tell me before you go. Then Dad talked about the fee for raising me, he had to get it back before he goes.

"Fee for raising me? I have no money. Do you think I have any money?"

"If you have a head, think about what heritage can I give."

"I guess there won't be even one cent."

"Fortunately you know that. If I have any legacy that can give you, you probably would have prayed for me to die as soon as possible. From this point of view, we are now able to maintain our faithful dad-son relationship, we should thank for our poverty."

"Oh we are so poor, I'm so grateful!"

And this morning, Dad also left with a calm expression.

"I'll be right back soon. The woods, I have already requested Jamini's father, you can go to find him later."

I was rubbing the pot without looking back:

"See you soon."

Then Dad left. Although the two of us didn't agree, we decided to treat this matter as there is no danger at all, like going to the village to meet some friends. If I told Dad please take care, would he be safe? If Dad told me not to worry, then would I not worry?

After all I still left the chores at home behind, dragged by Jamini to come here to see the departure of the crusade.

Although many villagers came to watch, but I really didn't want to come. I don't want to come and send these people away; Anyway, I don't want to do with the meaning of "Farewell".

"Hum, why aren't they going? What are they still doing there? Probably before they could see Amurtaat, they would all get heat stoke and pass out."

Listening to the speech of our thane, I muttered. Jaimini laughed loudly.

"Heat stroke? Isn't it Autumn now? "

Our thane's speech says, Amurtaat didn't need any reason, is unconditionally doing evils. So our King who sent Cathselprime doesn't need any reasons too, should be unconditionally praised. Really a touching speech. Of course, it didn't touch anyone else, but himself. He didn't make it to seventh, eighth crusade, finally he can participate in the ninth, our thane is obviously very excited.

Earl Huritchell is also showing an unhappy expression. He is impatiently looking at the sky. Our thane finally ended his speech in a half tears, half crying scene, everyone kept clapping for quite a while, and finally it's Earl Huritchell's turn to speak. He slightly lower the head, then said:

"The Ninth Amurtaat Crusade, Go! "

Once he raised his hand, he made a starting signal. Along with the orders of the knights and the readback, the army began to depart starting from the first troop. People have missed the opportunity to clap for Earl Huritchell, everyone is panicked, but the clapping very cleverly converted to an encouragement for the departing soldiers. The soldiers set out in this applause.

Although I want to continue watching Dad, because everyone around are clapping, or putting their hands up, so this is not an easy thing to do. I turned around, the result is Jamini's outstretched hand hit my nose. Jamini doesn't seem to know about this, continued waving and cheering. All the people around are doing so. This is completely different from the gloom I have seen in previous expeditions since childhood. This should be due to the walking in the end of the ranks, beautiful while dreadful, arrogant but equally mighty, Cathselprime.

"Long live! Cathselprime! Crusade! Long live! May Uphinel bless them!"

"Curse Amurtaat! Curse it in the name of Helkanes!"

Completely opposite to the usual words and deeds people here have, they are actually praying God to bless and curse. If I were a God, I wouldn't want to help them. But Dad? Where is Dad? When the forces started moving, I have been unable to find the location of Dad.

"Jamini, Jamini!"

I under semi-crazy state caught Jamini's shoulder, and asked her my father's location. Jamini is pointing with a finger. At that time the fourth unit just passed in front of me, so I can see my father.

Should I call him? But what is the reason to call him? Besides he won't be able to hear.

"Dad! You must come back!"

I couldn't stop myself. Damn. Dad looks like didn't hear anything, he is just walking forward calmly. I stared at him blankly. Then -

Dad's head turned to me. His accurately looked at me through the crevices of the riot crowds. I was aback, but still anxiously hoped that my face was showing hope and joy. Dad smiled, and turned his head away, looked at the front and walked.

Then I began to bother about what the thing was flashing in father's eyes. In such a cool autumn, could that be sweat? Could that be a drop of rain fell from the sky, just fell right on the corner of father's eyes?

Because the size of the troops are not large, so the lines quickly went over. People kept clapping, until Cathselprime's huge figure disappeared over the horizon, they gradually dispersed.

"Huchi? Time to go! "

Jamini wanted to go back with the people, and saw me standing there, so said to me. I have a feeling of being disturbed. Nothing to do with other people, nothing to do with Amurtaat or Cathselprime also. Only because I and father have to separate for a long while, this looks like some kind of disturbance. But this remark is a bit baffling, so I can't be angry on Jamini.

"Alright, let's go."

I turned away. Jamini nodded, turned and whispered:

"Oh, it's Karl."

I followed Jamini's sight. Karl is standing with Tyburn under a tree in the corner of the plain. They are looking at the direction of the forces disappeared, talking about something. I want to just go back to the village and drill into home, but Jamini has already swiftly ran into them. Hum. I snorted and followed her.

"How are you Karl! Your hospitality last time, I am really very grateful."

"You're welcome, Miss Shimaitage. Having you visited my house, I feel extremely honourable."

Ah ah... Goose bumps, goose bumps! I saw the look of them greeting, made a face to show that I can't take this anymore. Tyburn next to Karl closed his eyes, but also made the same face as mine.

"Hi Karl."

"Ah, Nedval, can you forgive me now?"

"Forgive what. I shouted at you rudely at that time, I am very sorry. You came to see the expedition departure?"

The ill feelings between us these days disappeared like this. Karl said:

"In fact I came with Tyburn. I myself don't actually want to see very much."

My lips pursed.

"Tyburn, what you can 'see' here?"

Tyburn giggled.

"I still have my own way to feel the environment here. I listen to the sounds here, then imagine the scene, it's very interesting too."

"Interesting?"

"Ah. The atmosphere is great. Not quite like soldiers going to combat with a dragon."

Somehow, Tyburn is much older than Karl (I guess is about two times. Karl is not forty yet, but Tyburn seems to be more than seventy.), but the tone of Tyburn is a lot more intimate. Because the two men are standing side by side, so I can compare them effectively. Is Karl a bit strange?

"You are a very powerful wizard, aren't you? Didn't Earl Huritchell ask you to help?"

"You still have a bit common sense. Well, I refused."

"Reasons?"

I made the question with a very sharp face. But only Karl and Jamini can see my face. Tyburn said quietly:

"There are several problems. It's like betraying teacher. On the mood side it is bothering."

"Teacher?"

"Didn't I say? Magics of course belong to Dragons, so using magics against dragons, it's like offending own master. Isn't that funny?"

"Ah, but just because of this reason..."

"I won't be angry even you asked this. But if you had a little understanding about magic, or to say the least, a little understanding about chivalry, then I would have blown your head off."

Because his voice was too calm, my anger came very slowly. Although I wanted to get angry, I quietly refrained. The broken trolls are still very vivid in my mind. Tyburn continued with a tone like he felt annoyed, said:

"Hum. Since I've learned magic,  all I did were just things like destroying, killing. Thinking of this, in fact, I feel very sorry. I don't think I am anything special. If you want a reason that you can understand, that is, I don't want to die yet. A blind wizard trying to fight a dragon which has practiced magics for hundreds of years, is a very difficult thing."

"You are blind, but didn't you finished those trolls easily?"

"Hey! Does troll know magic? Ha ha ha. Only Cathselprime can be the opponent of Amurtaat. Earl Huritchell also believed this, so he was not too eager to invite me. In my opinion, this is not what the Ninth Amurtaat Crusade, but the First Duel of Amurtaat and Cathselprime. This is not something a human wizard to intervene."

"You are right. The soldiers are also going just to watch the drama."

If so, that would be great. No, it has to be like this. The soldiers should just watch the drama. I don't want my father raises his spear and charges towards Amurtaat. Tyburn smiled and said:

"Well, but I promised to do something else."

"Something else?"

"And I have the right to choose an assistant for it."

"Wait a minute, wait a minute. You mean what things else?"

"Ah, right, do you want to be my assistant?"

To this point, my chest really has no way to not explode.

"Damn you! So I kept asking you what's the things."

"Guard the Heltant fief. Almost all the guards left, isn't it a big problem? Especially an Autumn like this, the monsters will flock to."

Ah, it's this issue. The trolls appeared a few days ago was trying to prepare the food for the winter, so they came and attacked the granary. They probably mistakenly thought that we do farming hard from spring to autumn is for them. Whenever fall comes, they come to collect taxes. Damn! Now the guards have left, all of them will be glad to come. Of course, the villagers would organize self-defense forces during this period, but my age is less than the minimum requirement, so I can't join.

But Tyburn is responsible for guarding the entire village? Also want me to be an assistant? I immediately relaxed my tone.

"Well, it sounds not bad. Yeah. How is the salary of an assistance?"

"Pay you a drink in Sandirilla's Song everyday. How about that?"

"I don't want wine. I want something I can put in the pocket."

"This kid doesn't seem to know that there are better things than money on the world. If you want to be my assistance, I would also have to teach you some truths of life. You want money? Well, fine."

What scared me, is the 100 Purcell gold coin thrown to me by Tyburn!

"You... So besides 100 Purcell gold coin , you don't have any other coins with you?"

After Jamini snatched the gold coin, I said.

"Fool! That includes the cost of preparation! You use the money to buy your weapons and equipment. For a one-month short-term employment, the remuneration is a bit too high, but how is it?"

"Deal! No objection! In the name of Uphinel and Helkanes! I promise you!"

"Good. My office is Sindirilla's Song. Remember to come to see me every morning."

Jamini is still looking at the gold coin snatched from me, while drooling. When I took the gold coin back, she came and interrupted.

"Ehh, Mr. wizard, do you need another assistant?"

"No."

Jamini immediately made a funeral face. Tyburn said with a impatient face:

"What are you worrying about? Isn't Huchi money equivalent to your money, your money is equivalent to Huchi's money? In a truly great romantic relationship, money should be handled like this. Money unconditionally belongs the girl."

"Tyburn!!!"

Jamini and I cried out simultaneously.

No comments:

Post a Comment