Huchi, Sanson and Karl started their journey to the capital.

So the Magical Autumn of them begins...

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chapter One: Riding Towards the Dawn (Pt.6)

※ ※ ※

On the main roads in the village, the atmosphere is unusually flustered.

This is because the news of the Amurtaat Crusade has spreaded. Excitement, concern, hope, anxiety, and all  feelings seem to be completely mixed, crushed on a on the stone plate and scattered on the main roads in the village. Whisper, laughter, sighs, shouting are coming from everywhere. These noises which sounded usual, now sounds a bit strange.

I went into the town.

Animal fats dumped by people in the town can be used as a raw material of candles. In addition to that fish oil also can be used, even whale oil that I've never seen, I was told that can be made into candles too. Anyway, candles made with grease are inferior, but they are still very expensive things for civilians. So our thane at a standpoint of charity, gives us the grease and animal fats in the town to make candles, then distribute to people in need for free. Number of people who do activities like reading is in fact not much, so the demand is very low. The castle would buy fine candles made with honeycomb, we make our living relying on this. In the order words our thane donates the candles made with residual food oil to the public, and purchases premium candles, so that our family can make a living. Our thane's heart is really kind. The village people often talk about some bad thanes even charge candle makers for those residual fats.

Because of a hangover, I looked at the ground to walk. So I almost bumped into the people gathered on the main road in the town.

The crowd has completely blocked the main road. I looked around and tried to find out what exactly happened. I saw Métis of the brewery.

"Métis? What? What happened?"

"Huchi? Look at the castle."

I looked closely, everyone's eyes are look at the direction of the thane's castle on the hill. I looked up towards the castle, I saw a huge white neck above the walls.

"Catheslprime?'

And next to it, some broad and big white things came up, blocked its neck. After a while, those thing went down, then I found out that those are Catheslprime's wings. The wings once again came up, went down.

She is waving her wings.

After a while, Catheslprime has flown up entirely. I think this is surreal. I feel that if such a huge thing has to fly, it has to accelerate from the top of a hill all the way down, and managed to start flying. But Catheslprime is just like a sparrow, toke off gracefully from a spot. Like a sparrow? No, should be like an egret.

The graceful movement of her wings, are slow but light. Although there is amazing strength in her neck and tail, but the movement is still incredibly gentle.

After a while, Catheslprime has completely flown to the sky above the caste. She is slowly waving her wings, flying towards the direction where we are.

Too fast.

As the movement of her wings is very slow, I totally didn't expect the speed of her would be so fast. This was because I didn't realize that her wings are so huge, that she waves once, other birds need to wave hundreds of time. Catheslprime only waved a few times, she had already crossed above our heads.

"Catheslprime Hooray!"

"Long Live!"

People are very touched, raised their hands and cheered. I am also touched by this scene, waved, and shouted the meaningless cries. So when Karl seized my shoulder, I quickly put down my arms, and almost hit his nose.

"Ha, be careful. Nedval."

"Hey, Karl?"

"Ah. It is really spectacular."

"Yea. But where is Catheslprime going?"

"Good question. Judging from the direction she flew, should be going to the Gray Mountains. I guess she is scouting."

"Scouting? Isn't that funny? Such a big thing, must be obvious to everyone, Amurtaat will certainly see it too."

"At this moment, of course it is."

"Huh?"

"Hey, Nedval. There is Invisibility on the world, is that a big secret?"

"Ah! Magic."

I shook my head. Although I certainly don't the principle of this magic, I at least know that this magic can make things transparent. I just forgot it for a moment.

But I have other excuses. I have only seen 3 sorcerers since I was born. One at the Sixth Amurtaat Crusade, two at the Eighth. And I only know that they were sorcerers. How they cast spells, I have never seen even once. So magic for me is a mysterious,  non-understandable thing. I forgot about magic, is hence absolutely reasonable.

Karl made a smiling face, and continued to walk. I am walking side by side with him.

"To be honest, sorcerers are very rare. So it's excusable that our Nedval couldn't remember."

"But who will cast Invisibility on Catheslprime?"

"Huh? It has to be cast by Catheslprime herself. Doesn't it?"

Karl looked at me with a puzzled expression, I had to respond with the most appropriate way to deal with this situation, that is, being brazen, showing a "Yes I don't know. What? Does that cause the End of the World?" expression. But then I heard a completely unexpected answer.

"Magics of course belong to Dragons."

Karl and I turned our head towards the direction of the voice at the same time.

An old man, no, a young man, no, should be an old man? This person is wearing a costume that makes people can't guess his age, and his face is almost entirely covered up with a scarf. The dress is a black twill gown. If he is a traveler that doesn't ride, this clothing is a good choice. These thick and wide clothes, are especially good when you sleep at night. But it's a bit cumbersome when you act, simply like wearing a blanket running around.

He is carrying a backpack on his back, holding a stick in his right hand. As the sleeve slid down to his elbow, so I can clearly see there are full of tattoos on his arm. The tattoos are so complicated that you won't be able to find where the lines start, and how many lines are there. Is that text? Or pattern? Sometimes it looks like text, sometimes it looks like pattern.

The man slowly took off his headscarf. Like he has been practicing this action for several years, the action was slow and gentle. After a second, we noticed that his tattoos extend from his neck to his cheek. Looking at his right arm and cheek, I suspect that his upper body, even the whole body may have tattoos. The next things appeared are his eyes. Nothing, just white. The last thing appeared is hair, white hair. Black clothes with black tattoos, but eyes and hairs are completely opposite white.

He really gives people a sense of threat, people would shrink with a glance at this blind old man.

"Who is this?"

Although for me, there is no reason to ask,  I don't need to know his name. But it's him who began the conversation randomly first. The tattoo blind replied without any expression:

"Tyburn."




No comments:

Post a Comment