Huchi, Sanson and Karl started their journey to the capital.

So the Magical Autumn of them begins...

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Chapter Two: The Difference Between a Kettle And a Brain (Pt.12)


Early in the next morning, I put a washbasin in front and began to wash, I almost cried.

"I never knew that washbasin is such an important thing!"

And there is even soap in the bathroom. I had only heard of this precious thing, and now I get a chance to use it, but it's taking me a long time. This thing is really difficult to hold. Sanson laughed when he saw me like this, but his face looked a little anxious. When he was walking to have breakfast, he was absently looking around.

We woke up early, so there are no other guests in the dining hall yet. Jusina actually pretended that she didn't see us when we came in, continued cleaning the tables.

"Hey, Jusina, obtuse girls like you of course would be dumped by men."

"You want to make trouble in an early morning?"

Jusina is getting angry again. I blithely said:

"I want to order, bread and soup, any kind will do."

Karl and Sanson also ordered theirs. Sanson is looking anxiously at the entrance, but Karl didn't seem to notice Sanson' face. He looked around, found that there is a large piece of paper on another table, he picked it up and read.

"What's that?"

"It's a magazine, Nedval."

"Magazine?"

"This is a weekly magazine, documenting what is happening in this city every week. It can be used to deliver messages to the people of the city."

"Isn't it something like public reports by our thane?"

"No, this is something issued by the citizen. It records someone's cow missing, whose birthday is on this Tuesday, or news from the southern war with Zypern, etc. Quite interesting, this article tells 'Why Zypern has a Strong Navy?' opinions!"

"Well, even people like me know the reason why. Because they got a lot of desert, so they can only develop on the ocean, right?"

My answer gives Karl a very satisfied face.

"Brilliant! Nedval. In short, they collect information from travelers, and post on here. Selling this magazine can also make money. "

"Oh, you mean someone will pay for this? Ha! You can just ask people for the information, can't you?"

"The price will not be very high. And this city is much larger than our hometown, it is difficult to spread all the news. Look! Take a look at this ad. Message from The Temple of Gran Elver on the Hertz Mountains. Temple of Gran Elver offers a winter religious research,  interested members can apply for trainee positions during Winter, participate in the researches about Gran Elver. The Autumn harvest has ended, so temples won't be busy in farm works, of course, they can then do catechisms."


"Oh, that kind of message, can't they just announce...... it?"

"Because this is a huge city, people who want to deliver a message can pay the magazine money, and then ask it to publish the message. Plus this is not just a fief, but a city, if institutions like the municipal government want to announce something to the public, they also give money to the magazines and ask them to publish. So the retail price can't be too expensive. "

"But, no matter what, paper is very very expensive isn't it?"

"Well, maybe the magazines signed contracts with the shrines, paper are provided by the shrines here. And in return shrines and temples can publish news in cheap prices."

Karl smiled. I shook my head and said:

"Amazing. If it's not this trip, I might not get to know magazines such things until I die."

Jusina who was cleaning another table chuckled after she heard what I said. Hum, so what, I am very ignorant. If you were born and grew up in a place like Fief Haltant, what would you become? Karl said:

"Travel often brings us new knowledge. This is a pleasant gift of trips. "

"Right. Ah! That we can sell messages to the magazine too."

"Huh?"

"'The Ninth Amurtaat Crusade is defeated.' How about that?"

"This is a good idea. But we should report to the King first. Things should be sequenced. So we should still report to the King first."

Then another voice came.

"You said the king's dragon is defeated?"

We focused into the chat so much that we didn't notice Iruril walked over. Iruril sat down at our table and asked:

"Who defeated the king's dragon?"

Who? Well, why didn't she ask 'What"? Why she asked 'Who'? This seems a odd way to ask. Karl replied:

"What a fresh morning! Miss Sereniel, since you have heard our conversation, you must know we have to report to the King His Majesty first."


"He is not my king."

Iruril pointed out Karl's mistake gently. Karl smiled sorrily and said:

"My apologies, Miss Sereniel,. Cathselprime is defeated by Amurtaat."

"Is Cathselprime the white dragon of Hustheil?"

"Oh, you are very clear about that."

Iruril looks very cautious.

"Speaking of Amurtaat...... The Watcher of Sunset, the Black Window of Helkanes, Amurtaat is also a name of this Black Dragon. Did it wake?"

Huh? What does it mean? Did it wake? Did it sleep before? But Karl replied blandly:

"Yes, it woke fifty years ago."

"Really?"

Strange. This elf lady didn't know get to know of this news for 50 years? I wanted to question her, but then Jusina carried the breakfast over. Jusina saw Iruril on the same table with us, asked:

"What do you want for breakfast?"

"Bread and milk please."

Jusina immediately carried the food over. Simple orders really result in fast service. I don't know whether elves chat when they are eating, so I am not talking. Sanson is worshiping Iruril with his admirers eyes while she is eating. Do you really want to watch people eating? He can actually be able to focus on watching someone eating! I kicked Sanson's feet under the table to warn him, he hurried began to eat his own breakfast. But pretty soon, he held his spoon motionless and stared at Iruril again, he didn't notice even the soup is flowing out of the spoon and making the table wet. God! I can't take this anymore. Iruril noticed Sanson's action, she was surprised and say:

"Mr. Sanson, the soup is all going to the table!"

"Ah? Oh, I'm sorry!"

Sorry for what? I'm really going crazy. Iruril is also surprised and looked at Sanson. Sanson is sticking his  face on the plate, eating his stuff hastily.


Jusina's brother, that Breadie, is really good at cooking. I finished my soup, could not help but wanted to lick the soup plate, I spent a lot of efforts to control myself. If it's not Jusina watching me like watching a clown, maybe I would really do that. After we finished our breakfast, Jusina asked what drinks do we want. Everyone ordered juice, only Karl ordered coffee. What the heck is Coffee? After a while, Jusina brought over a cup of black and hot smoking thing. Because it's in a cup, it looks something like tea.

Karl drank the coffee joyfully.

"Wow, I haven't drank a coffee for a long time."

In the end what is that? Is that tasty? I absently finished my juice, and ordered a cup of coffee from Jusina. Jusina seems to think that I look ridiculous, and then immediately sent me a cup of coffee, she even put that in front of me with excessively careful action. I took a sip of that thing, Sanson kept looking at me asked curiously:

"Hey, Huchi, is that thing good?"

I didn't answer him, so he made a more curious face. That's because I made a very ominous speculation, so I couldn't answer him. Soon, I glared at Jusina furiously:

"Ju... Jusina! Are you trying to poison me!!?"

※ ※ ※


No comments:

Post a Comment